DATE: 2 June 2018
VENUE: Elephant Whispers, Hazyview
Explore spectacular scenery along the Sabie River during the annual Vodacom Hippo Hollow MTB Challenge and trail run on 2 June. The event will be held at Elephant Whispers in Hazyview where families can enjoy elephant interactions and hippo viewing at the adjacent Hippo Hollow Hotel. Friday night kicks off with live entertainment, food trucks, a beer tent and a kiddies zone, which continues on to Saturday’s main event.
The MTB challenge offers a 8km, 19km, 40km and 65km race. The trail run has a 4km and 8km route.
Weekend accommodation packages are available at Lowveld Hollow Hotels. Use reference VHH2018 when booking to qualify for special discounts
Farm land, Hippo tracks, Bush veld, single track, bush tunnel, bridges, Enduro Trails, old wagon roads
60KM OVERALL PRIZE MONEY:
1st – R5,000 (Men’s & Women’s)
2nd – R2,000 (Men’s & Women’s)
3rd – R1,000 (Men’s & Women’s)
(FROM JOHANNESBURG OR PRETORIA)
Directions from Johannesburg / Pretoria to Elephant Whispers
- Take the N4 or the N12 to Nelspruit via Witbank and Middleburg.
- At the third set of traffic lights in Nelspruit, turn left onto the R40 to White River.
- As you approach White River proceed straight through the 1st set of traffic lights (Sabie turnoff on the left, Spur restaurant on the right).
- At the next set of traffic lights turn left.
- Turn right at the following set (signposted Lowveld Info).
- Continue along this road and turn left at the 2nd set of traffic lights onto the R40 towards Hazyview (for approximately 45km)
- At the T-junction turn left into Hazyview and continue straight through the C.B.D.
- Pass the Total Filling Station on your left
- 500m further down the R40 on you will find Perry’s Bridge Trading Post on your left hand side.
- Cross over the stop street, continue past Hippo Hollow on your left hand side, cross the Sabie River, and a short distance after that will be the Elephant Whispers gate on your left.
GPS CO ORDINATES: SOUTH -25° 1’ 39.2268” | EAST 31° 7’ 30.9822”
REGISTRATION & NUMBER COLLECTION ON FRIDAY, 1 JUNE 2018:
Elephant Whispers, Hazyview: 17h30 – 19h30
60 km – R250
40 km – R170
19 km – R100
8km – R60
Online entries close: 30 May 12 noon
REGISTRATION & NUMBER COLLECTION ON THE DAY:
Elephant Whispers, Hazyview: 06h00 – 08h00
(Late entry fee of R50 will be charged for riders entering on the day)
7:45 AM – 60 KM
8:15 AM – 40 KM
8:35 AM – 19 KM
8:50 AM – 8 KM
8:00 AM – 60 KM
8:30 AM – 40 KM
8:45 AM – 19 KM
9:00 AM – 8 KM
12:30 PM: PRIZE GIVING
60 km (59.4 km) – ELEVATION: 1509M
40 km (36.5 km) – ELEVATION: 813M
19 km (17.8 km) – ELEVATION: 327M
8km (8.86 km) – ELEVATION: 149M
Overall Prize money for 60km & 40km
Fully stocked Water points
Beer & Craft Beer on tap
Vodacom give a ways